Honesty Tests—For Hiring Decisions You Can Trust
Get the truth before you hire! Let Step One Survey A® integrity tests provide an accurate window on the character of potential employees.
® As an employer, how can you be sure that the people you hire are honest, responsible, drug-free, and industrious? When certainty matters, make certain you use Step One Survey A®. Our advanced software is the indispensable element of any employment candidate screening process.
Employee surveys reflect the harsh realities of your applicant pool:
- 56% of working people admit they have lied to their supervisors
- 41% say they have falsified records
- 64% admit using the Internet for personal reasons during working hours
- 35% have stolen from their employers, by their own admission
- 31% abuse drugs or alcohol
The Enemy Within
Recent industry estimates indicate that nearly 80% of computer crime is committed by "insiders," at an estimated annual cost ranging from $100 million to as much as $1 billion. More than one-third of all companies declaring bankruptcy last year cited theft by employees as a contributing factor.
Upper Levels Pose Highest Risk
Employee theft and fraud averages about $2,000 per employee each year from your bottom line. While rank-and-file employees have opportunities to steal relatively small amounts, executives may embezzle tens of thousands – even millions of dollars from their employers. Could there be a better reason to hire people worthy of your trust?
What Questions Can You Ask?
Increasingly, the potential for lawsuits have made it extremely difficult, even illegal, for you to ask important questions to determine the integrity of a job candidate. Past employers can be held liable for information they give you. If you choose to avoid hiring suspicious candidates, can you prove that you did not discriminate? The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, prohibits employment discrimination on the basis of “race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, age (40 or older), national origin, disability, or genetic information.” In the absence of objective data, it is often impossible to demonstrate that your decision was made objectively
Get the solution— Step One Survey A®. Get the objective clarity you need to make hiring decisions you can trust. Step One Survey A® is a scientifically designed integrity test that assesses job applicants for honesty, substance abuse, reliability, and work ethic. SOS II provides a structured system for objectively obtaining relevant information, identifying the most suitable candidates, and conducting more insightful interviews.
The Step One Survey A® addresses 21st century challenges to companies' productivity and profitability:
- Unauthorized use of the Internet
- Using company email for personal use
- Disclosing private and restricted computer data
- Theft of office supplies and other company property
- Clocking in or out for other employees
- Revealing confidential information and/or trade secrets to outsiders
- Inventory shrinkage
- Unexcused absences
- Drug use
- Subpar job performance
Features of the Step One Survey II® Report
- Quick Check – Provides a candidate's employment status, availability to start, most recent salary, and supervisory experience.
- Employment Profile – Presents a concise employment history plus supporting interview questions.
- Integrity Test – Summarizes admissions regarding theft of money, property, data and time.
- Substance Abuse Survey – Summarizes admissions regarding the personal use and/or distribution of illegal and/or regulated substances.
- Absentee Report – Addresses admissions regarding absenteeism.
- Candidate's Attitudes – Reflects applicant’s attitudes regarding integrity, substance abuse, reliability, and work ethic.
- Graph – Visually summarizes a candidate's results.
- Distortion Scale – Measures inconsistencies as valuable indicators in the accuracy and/or candor of responses.
- Structured Interview Questions – Provides questions that relate to key issues that surface in their responses. Questions are open-ended in order to promote discussion, reduce risk of litigation, and conduct the most effective interview for each candidate.
Step One Survey A® is fast and easy to use
Job applicants can take the SOS A online, or by completing a booklet with pencil. Results are instantly available online to facilitate fast, informed decisions.
Step One Survey A® promotes positive behaviors in your company, such as:
- An honest day's work for a full day's pay
- Conscientious use of company time and resources
- Confidentiality of proprietary data and other information
- Employee loyalty
- Increased productivity
- Avoiding hiring mistakes is good business.